Sign up now!
Don't show this again
Tap to download the app


Collect articles and features into your own report to read later, print or share with others

Create a New Report


Read Later

Create a new report

Report title (required) Brief description (optional)
follow us

You must be logged in to edit your profile.

Favorites Read Later My Reports PHT Special Reports
Pig Health Today is equipped with some amazing (and free) tools for organizing and sharing content, as well as creating your own magazines and special reports. To access them, please register today.
Sponsored by Zoetis

Pig Health Today | Sponsored by Zoetis


Do pork producers need a VFD for each on-farm feed mill?

Part 7 in a series

In an exclusive 90-minute interview with editors from the VFD News Center, William Flynn, DVM, MS, deputy director for science and policy for FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, clarified some hazy points of the new veterinary feed directive (VFD) regulations that took effect January 1, 2017. In this installment, Flynn discusses the obligations pork producers have for on-farm feed mills.


Q: Many pork operations have on-farm feed mills and manufacture feed for their pigs only. The complexes are all at one site. Do these on-farm mills need any special paperwork to obtain premixes containing the VFD medications?

WF: Basically, to obtain a VFD premix (Type B medicated feed) or a finished Type C feed, you either need to have a VFD from a licensed veterinarian or you need to provide an acknowledgment letter to the supplier indicating that you will not feed it to your pigs without a VFD.

You do not need a VFD or an acknowledgement letter to obtain a Type A medicated article containing a VFD drug. However, regardless of whether obtained as a Type A article, or as a Type B or C feed, a VFD is required in order to administer medicated feed containing a VFD drug to your animals.


Q: So, if there’s an individual owner of this feed mill, and he’s going to manufacture feed that he’s going to send to his farms on another site, possibly in another state, will the producer need a distribution letter?

WF: No. If you’re manufacturing medicated feed solely for the purpose of moving it from point A to point B, where you own the animals, you’re not selling it or “distributing” it to another person, so therefore you are not considered a distributor.

In those situations, a single VFD authorization could cover that, provided that the various locations/premises to which the feed is going are listed on the actual VFD order.

The only exception occurs when there’s a large operation that has more than one feed-manufacturing site supplying feed to the various locations/premises. You need to have a separate VFD for each manufacturing site.


Q: In summary, if there’s one feed mill producing VFD feed going to various sites but still owned by that company, only one VFD is required. But if it’s the same company with two feed mills, they would require two VFDs.

WF: Yes. As long as you can identify the locations where the feed is going, that’s fine. You can cover it all under one authorization, as long as it’s tied to one manufacturing site. If at any time you’re planning to sell some of that medicated feed, now you are a distributor and you would need a distributor letter.


Read the full interview.




tags: , , ,
  • So far, so good: Pork producers adjusting well to new VFD rules

    Implementation of the new veterinary feed directive (VFD) in swine has gone smoothly in the field, according to Chris Rademacher, DVM, Iowa State University Extension.

  • New VFD rules affecting disease management for swine

    The updated VFD rules that took effect in January 2017 haven’t required a big adjustment for the swine industry, but they have furthered the trend toward reduced antibiotic use — and the result has been some consequential disease problems, according to Joe Connor,...

  • VFD requirements for feed mills: Not as simple as A, B, C

    Part 4 of an exclusive interview with William Flynn, DVM, MS, deputy director for science and policy for FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, on the new VFD that took effect Jan. 1, 2017.

  • Pork producers will need more than VFD forms to pass an FDA audit

    Complying with the new VFD requires pork producers to do more than establish a veterinary-client-patient relationship and retain printed or digital versions of the VFD forms for a minimum of 2 years.

You must be logged in to edit your profile.

Google Translate is provided on this website as a reference tool. However, Poultry Health Today and its sponsor and affiliates do not guarantee in any way the accuracy of the translated content and are not responsible for any event resulting from the use of the translation provided by Google. By choosing a language other than English from the Google Translate menu, the user agrees to withhold all liability and/or damage that may occur to the user by depending on or using the translation by Google.